Barangay Santa Maria
Historical profile of Barangay Santa Maria
Before World War II, Baga was occupied by a tribal group called the Subanens. In this place, two Timoais (tribal leader) named Labinay and Abaga were close allies. Abaga farmed the whole area. He was also a very sociable person. He loved gatherings known as "tabo-tabo" and cock fights. People from neighboring place would come to Abaga. Soon, the place was called Baga for short.
In 1926, Christians coming from Sugbo (Cebu) settled in Baga. They introduced Christianity to the old settlers. Eventually, Baga sold his whole area to Juan Abadies and Pastor "Titoy" Ocampos. Timoteo Engracia, the town's first mayor, officially named the place Baga in memory of the Timo-ai named Baga, the first person who tilled the land.
During the time of Mayor Alfonso D. Tan a resolution was passed to change the name Baga to Sta. Maria. The late mayor found the name too hot for comfort, so he decided to change it. He also installed the water pipe lines of Sta. Maria all the way from Barangays Banglay, Capalaran, and Villaba. Christians from Cebu brought the Catholic religion to Baga. That is why Catholics is the dominant religion in this place. The Sugbuanons brought the image of Sr. Sto. Niño to Baga and made Him the patron saint of the place.
Sta. Maria Chapel
In the late 1930's there already existed an old lumber chapel of the Sr. Sto. Niño located in the area where the school ground is located at present. In 1941, during the 2nd World War, the building was ruined by war. Five years later in 1946, under the supervision of Mr. Jose Peñas, chapel president, the chapel was repaired. It was still made of hard lumber. By the time Alfonso D. Tan was the mayor of the municipality of Tangub, a new chapel building made of concrete was built in the lot donated by Mr. Tenchavez where the recent chapel now stands. The new chapel building was realized due to the barangay folks' donations and funding from the local government.
The old statue of the barangay patron saint, Sr. Sto. Niño which could be found inside the chapel was said to be miraculous. During old times, the statue was lost due to unknown reason. The story went that the land owner's wife, Mrs. Abadies had a dream that the statue could be found in a nipa hut somewhere. But specifically, where, it was not revealed in her dream but she had the picture of the hut in her mind. For many months, she went from one barangay to the other looking for that particular scenery in her dreams. Then one day, somewhere in Tominamos, a sitio in Ozamiz, she found the scenery of the hut complete with its fence made from coconut parts. Inside, she found the statue. The resident of the house said that the statue was sold to them by a man.
Restored to its original place, the statue is still believed to be miraculous. Sometimes, it could be found somewhere near the chapel, its clothes soiled as if from a long walk. Early travelers found the statue at the very center of the crossroad leading to the city proper. A dog was nearby as if accompanying the statue.
|PACATANG, JOSE RICHARD EYAO||Punong Barangay|
|LAGMAY, MELANIE FLORES||Barangay Kagawad|
|CARREON, FE JOVELYN ARDABA||Barangay Kagawad|
|MAGHUYOP, ALBERTO MAHUSAY JR.||Barangay Kagawad|
|MEGRIÑO, ROSARIO CUIZON||Barangay Kagawad|
|SURDILLA, ERIC MARIBAO||Barangay Kagawad|
|PONDOC, ANTONIO ALIMA||Barangay Kagawad|
|MENDOZA, MYRNA||Barangay Kagawad|
|VILLARIN, GLYDEL MARIE PARPAN||SK Chairman|
|NERI, GEMMA ZAPATOS||Barangay Secretay|
|CUTAD, VIVENCIA RAMIL||Barangay Treasurer|
|Barangay Hall Address|